With lots of holiday parties, family gatherings, championship football games, college and NBA basketball all going on at once, now is the time when food and temptation is everywhere. Don't be afraid to indulge in a few of your favorites, but eat them in moderation, don't go back for seconds and fill the rest of your plate with vegetables, fruits and lean protein.
If you are hosting or think that there won’t be any healthy options available at an upcoming event, make sure to bring your own healthy dish that you (and everyone else) will enjoy. Try this quick and easy recipe for guacamole-- it's rich in the omega 3's that we can never get enough of,and a great source of vitamin E which is great for the skin in the winter months.
You don't need a lot of time or skill to make a good guacamole. Start with fresh, wholesome ingredients and you'll never want to buy packaged guacamole again.
Healthy Game Day Guacamole
- 2 avocados
- 1 small roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon jalepeno
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 heaping teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon red onion, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Remove avocado from skin and seeds and mash in a medium bowl with a fork (I like to leave mine a little chunky). Add all other ingredients to bowl and stir. Done!
Do you have any favorite game day or holiday healthy dips or snacks that everyone loves?
Original recipe by Megan Ware, RDN, LD